Monday, December 20, 2010

What I Saw and How I Lied by Judy Blundell

I read this because it is on the VSBA list. It won the 2008 National Book Award for Young People's Literature. While I enjoyed it, I do not think it is better than my other VSBA favorites: Black Box and The Hunger Games.
Background: This book is set in 1947 (post WWII) in New York and Palm Beach, Florida. I really enjoyed the little details about the time period including, but not limited to, references to Victory Gardens and the reason for longer skirts in the late 40s and 50s (decadence after years of rations on cloth).
Reading: It had already been pointed out in the VSBA Book Club that things in this book are not what they seem; in fact, it had been referred to as a mystery. With that in my mind, I read this book looking for clues...and I found them. I wish I had not been told that it was a mystery because looking for clues kind of spoiled the big reveal for me; I had already caught on.
Book Club: Since this book has already been talked about a couple of times at the book club, I think I will pull some 40s and WWII non-fiction to show as tie-ins for people who have already read the book. By doing this, I may be able to show some of the way toward "Life-Long Learning Misti-Style" (i.e. read a fiction book and then parts of a related non-fiction book).

No comments:

Post a Comment