Friday, December 24, 2010

Graceling by Kristin Cashore

OK. This is up for the VSBA...and it is my WINNER! I LOVE this book! (Please notice the caps; they ARE relevant.)
This is a work of fantasy set in a world with Seven Kingdoms. In this world, some people are born with Graces, or special abilities. The heroine of this story, Katsa, is graced with killing. Her love interest in the story, Prince Po, is graced with the art of fighting.
I really enjoyed the writing of this story. It was character-centered while not ignoring the plot; the plot continued to more forward while the characters were revealing themselves.
I really enjoy her word play and symbolism: humbled vs. humiliate, death vs. survival, and sight vs. blindness. Read it and understand!
I was given a Nook in August when I had my tonsils out. I have just been reading Pride and Prejudice on it (for the 34th time!) because it was free and I am cheap. After reading this novel, I knew I wanted to own it. I decided to purchase it for my Nook with a Christmas gift card from my sister-in-law, Melissa. I have been happily rereading this novel (with my secret knowledge that only readers of the novel possess) and looking for favorite parts to highlight and foreshadowing that I didn't see before. I also like reading for references to Po's secret just because he makes me happy.

Please read this novel! It is not about vampires at all!

Up next: Fire by Kristin Cashore: the second novel in the 7 Realms series. Her blog is at http://kristincashore.blogspot.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment