Thursday, June 10, 2010

To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee

I am starting the summer reading program at the Smyrna Public Library. I have to read 6 books by late July. The boys are also participating; they have to read 30 books!...age-appropriate, of course.
Dad and I listened to To Kill a Mockingbird in the car when we were taking the boys on drives or going to Wednesday-night church. I'm not sure what inspired me to grab it from the SPL. I mean, I taught this book every year I taught English I (that's 6, not this last one). I just picked it up for us, I suppose, because I love it. When I got to the car Dad told me he had never read it. This should really have surprised me because I made it through school without reading it either. I read it for the first time when I had to teach it back in the spring of 2004.
Topic 1: I believe this is the greatest work of American literature. What do you believe is the greatest work of AMERICAN literature? (I am limiting this discussion because many of friends read mostly British lit, like me.)
Topic 2: What are some classic works that you did not read in school but feel you should have?

No comments:

Post a Comment