Thursday, June 10, 2010

Christmas in Plains by Jimmy Carter

Once again, this book is for the SPL summer reading program and Dad and I listened to it on CD.
I have no idea how many pages this is in book form, but I am sure it must be a novella. It was 2 1/2 hours on CD and it was read by President Jimmy Carter himself. He has a wonderful Southern accent. My favorite word to hear him pronounce was his wife's name, Rosalind, because he said it like rosin (tree sap).
In this book, the former president recounts a few Christmases from his childhood, his time in the navy, his time as governor of Georgia, and his time at the White House. Throughout all of these stories, he places great emphasis on Christmas' being a commemoration of the birth of Jesus Christ.
Dad has read some of his other books and he admires Carter's Christianity as seen in those books. In fact, before the boys were born Dad wanted us to take a trip to Plains, Georgia (Carter's hometown), to hear him teach Sunday school. I wish we had done it. I don't know if he still teaches Sunday school, but I do know that trips are much harder now that the boys are here.
Topic: As previously stated, Carter read this himself. I think we should take advantage of our modern abilities and have recordings of important people like him reading their own works. Who is the one person (past or present) that you would most like to hear read his/her own works?

No comments:

Post a Comment