Wednesday, June 16, 2010

And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie

This books alternative non-PC title is Ten Little Indians...in case you ever see a copy with that title.
This is one of Agatha Christie's most popular novels of all time. The other REALLY popular one is Curtain, Hercule Poirot's last case. FYI: Hercule Poirot is my favorite detective of all time. Agatha Christie herself did not like him and grew tired of him; however, the public liked him so well that her publishers made her keep writing novels with him as the lead. It is my opinion (and probably the generally accepted opinion because it seems so obvious...esentially, I am not taking credit for any great insight here) that the character Ariadne Oliver voices Agatha Christie's personal opinions about Hercule Poirot; look out for her if you read any of Christie's novels.
I've already admitted that Hercule Poirot novels are my preference and, I must confess, I have read this novel several times before. I listened to it on tape with my dad. It is my current mission to expose him to as many classics that he has never read as I can over the summer.
I read my first Christie novel as a teenager on the way to a family vacation at Reelfoot Lake. I read The Sleeping Murder. It is the only Christie novel that I have ever solved.
Observation: I also really like Christie's Peril at End House. Question 1: If you read Christie, who do you prefer: Miss Marple or Hercule Poirot. Question 2: If you have read many Christie cozies (English mysteries), what is your favorite?
Observation: My love of Agatha Christie led me to start reading Agatha Raisin cozies by M.C. Beaton. Question 3: Has love of one author/work ever led you to the love of another author/work? If so, please elaborate.
Up next: Huck Finn and Tom Sawyer.

3 comments:

  1. I used to teach this book back in the day when you were still just a wee lass. I had to stop however, due to a situation arose from the title it really appeared under in the first addition. Needless to say - it would be grounds today.Peril is better 1) Miss Marple 2) Too many to name 3) It is the seminal series that developed my love for detective novels and the pleasure of reading series. I like Ian Rankin, another book set in Scotland but during our modern times. SS

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, you know that I do love Agatha Christie. At the moment, however, I am having difficulty choosing a favorite mainly because I don't have access to those books right now and can't remember the titles. The latest one I read was called The Clocks (I think). And I was proud to have figured out most of it.

    I'm not even sure that I can pick a favorite between Marple and Poirot. I might have to go with Miss Marple though because she's just so keen and sharp. Also, I usually like the mysteries surrounding Miss Marple more than Poirot. But I also really do like Poirot. You've inspired me to go the library and pick up some A.C. Yay!

    Jane Austen encouraged me to read Elizabeth Gaskell. (Not sure why, totally different time periods)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay! You both commented.
    Susan, I may have to check into Rankin based on my recent interest in Scots.
    Nata, I read Gaskell as well but as a result of Charlotte Bronte instead...which makes since because Gaskell was Bronte's biographer...though I haven't read her biography. I think your reading North and South after P&P makes since becasue the stories are so similar. While Jane studeis character, Gaskell studies society's changing climate and the role of women within that subject.

    ReplyDelete