Monday, January 31, 2011

Room by Emma Donoghue


I was given Room by a friend at work, Megan Lee. It is the story of a boy and his Ma. Ma has been held captive in Room for seven years. Jack, five years old, was born in the shed and has no idea that the world that he sees on TV is real; he thinks the world is just Room.
Words from the back cover that I would use to describe it include: changing innocence into horror and horror into tenderness, darkly beautiful, and dazzling use of language. It is so odd in the way that I was laughing at Jack's word choice (I particularly enjoyed the description of the Virgin Birth on p.18. It's a hoot!) and the next minute I was crying at the emotions Ma must be feeling.
You can see a picture of Room at http://www.roomthebook.com/inside.
Query: I wonder if this was modeled after the Jaycee Duggard case or if the timing was coincidental. A friend said she thought it was coincidental. Does anyone know for sure?

No comments:

Post a Comment