Saturday, August 21, 2010

Black Box by Julie Schumacher

I am now trying to read the nominees for the 2010-2011 Volunteer State Book Awards in the Young Adults Grade 7 and Up category. I am starting with the ones that my school library has. I have already read and blogged about The Disreputable History of Frankie Landau Banks; you may find its review in the November 2009 section of this blog. If I get finished with those before the April 1 deadline for voting, then I will get some others from the public library; actually, I think I will purchase the others for the library this year. You can see the complete list of nominees at http://www.discoveret.org/tasl/2010-11_VSBA_Nominees.html.

The Book: This book is about depression and its effect on the depressed person and the people around the depressed person. This story is told from the point of view of Elene Lindt. The reader sees her journey through her sister's, Dora's, depression and commitment to a hospital. It also has a bit of love tossed in for comedy. Actually, the love story is not funny at all; I am using the term comedy a la Shakespeare, as in NOT tragedy, or happiness.
My Opinion (so I'll remember for voting purposes): I really enjoyed this book. I read it in 3 sittings, which is quite the accomplishment with two two-year-olds. I cried unwillingly twice toward the end; the tears came on their own accord.
Question: I was thinking about doing a Twilight book club with students by reading a Twilight novel and then reading the correlating classic novel from which Stephenie Meyer drew inspiration. With this book club, we would all read the same book and discuss. The selling point is that the Twilight series is hugely popular now. I am now considering a VSBA book club. We would all read a different book and then comment on it to encourage others to read that book for the next month. The selling point is the kids' voting on the VSBAs in April. Do you have an opinion on which one I should try?

Information on this book can be found at http://www.julieschumacher.com/BlackBox.html.

No comments:

Post a Comment