Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Nefertiti: A Novel by Michelle Moran

This historical novel is really about Mutnodjmet (Mutny), Nefertiti's sister (and mother of Neferteri, wife of Ramses II). Through the eyes of Mutny, readers see the story of Neferteri and her husband, Pharaoh Amunhotep, as they abandon Egypt's gods, most notably Amun-Ra, in favor of Aten. They abandon the city of Thebes and build Amarna and Amunhotep becomes Akhnaten. He seemingly changes his god in order to gain control of priests and money. Doesn't this remind you of Henry VIII? (Perhaps I will read something about the Boleyn sisters soon
These basic facts are historically accurate. The meat of this novel is fictional. Akhnaten and Nefertiti were virtually erased from history, despite their efforts at immortality through building, because of their heretical views. Because of this, Moran is able to write her own story while remaining true to the known facts of this Egyptian period.
I am enjoying my current adventures into Egypt's past. If I had it to do again, I would read my Egyptian books in this order: Nefertiti by Moran, The Murder of King Tut by Patterson (see March's post), The Heretic Queen by Moran (I am currently reading this), Julius Caesar by Shakespeare, and Cleopatra's Daughter by Moran.
You can read an excerpt and see the cover at http://michellemoran.com/books/nefertiti/excerpt.html.

2 comments:

  1. I have passed your blog along to a friend in Chicago - I think the reviews are awesome!

    ReplyDelete