Wednesday, October 27, 2010

The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman...

...with illustrations by Dave McKean
This book a Newberry Award as "the most distinguished contribution to American literature for children."
This book is based on Rudyard Kipling's The Jungle Book. It is the story of a boy whose parents are killed by The Man Jack. He wanders to a graveyard and is given "the protection of the graveyard" for his youth. He is given the name Nobody and adopted by a couple who died in the 1700s, the Owens'. The book is about his adventures in the graveyard and out in the world. It has all sorts of moral lessons and a refreshing lack of romance. Read more about it at http://www.neilgaiman.com/works/Books/The+Graveyard+Book.
I read this book because it is up for a Volunteer State Book Award. I enjoyed it, but I think it is more suited to middle school; therefore, it is not my favorite for the voting.
I do plan on using this book as the theme for our next book club meeting. I think I will pick up some Halloween decorations next week when they go on sale! Does anyone have any ideas for food?

No comments:

Post a Comment