Thursday, October 28, 2010

The Eyes of the Amaryllis by Natalie Babbitt

I found this book while weeding fiction at the JOHS library. It was on my list of books with copyright dates over 20 years (this is 1977), so I was taking it off the shelf to check its conditions and the last time it had ever been checked out. It had never been checked out, but I read the back and thought it sounded interesting. Besides, Natalie Babbitt wrote Tuck Everlasting, which I really enjoyed when I taught it to 7th graders at Donelson Middle while student teaching (bless their hearts because I was not the high-quality teacher then that I came to be after years of experience).
This book was not my favorite. It was weird without being enchanting. It had the potential to be enchanting, but it just didn't succeed. It is about the relationship that develops between a girl and her estranged grandmother; the revelations in character relate to the mysteries of her grandfather's death at see.
It was just weird. It doesn't have draw. I have chosen to withdraw this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment