Friday, September 10, 2010

Matched by Ally Condie

How this Book was Chosen: The JOHS library gets pre-released books every few months or so. We put them on a shelf and only tell senior library workers or regulars about them. One such "regular," a boot-straps kind of girl who always has a book in her hand and makes my day with our conversations, chose this book. She read it in about 2 days, and then she asked me to read it. She has read lots of these, but she has never asked me to read one. So, it took me a week, but I read it.
Story: This story is set in a dystopia. I have always liked dystopian stories (Animal Farm, The Village), but reading this story helped my student discover that she likes it as well: MISSION ACCOMPLISHED! (I digress...) On some level, this is also a classic love-triangle with Cassia, Xander, and Ky. Cassia and Xander are "matched" at the Match Banquet on Cassia' 17th birthday; they have always been best friends and this is an ideal match. When Cassia goes to view her datacard with Xander's information on it, she sees Xander and then another boy she knows named Ky. Now Cassia must choose between the life she is told to have and the life she may be strong enough to choose to have. Good book!
When Can You Get It?: This book is set to be released November 30, 2010. You can find out more about it at http://www.allysoncondie.com/about-2/.
Further Digression: I love the green dress on the cover of this book!

No comments:

Post a Comment