Wednesday, March 24, 2010

The Sea of Monsters by Rick Riordan

Timeframe: I read this book on the flight home from San Juan to Atlanta to Nashville. This includes time in the airport. It took me about 14 hours off and on. Actually, I guess it took about 10 hours because we spent much of our time in lines at the Puerto Rican airport!
Book: This is the second book in the Percy Jackson and the Olympians series.
My Concern: I hope Riordan ages his writing style along with the characters. Percy is only in 7th grade in this book, so he still seems immature. I hope Riordan really ages Percy as these books go along.
Musings: I sometimes miss teaching English I. As I was reading this book, I really missed it. This book revisits most of the characters (even the oft-overlooked Laestrygonians) from The Odyssey. I love The Odyssey. This book brought those characters to mind again and made me happy. I wish I was still teaching English I in order to be able to say to some of thos kids who hated reading The Odyssey but loved hearing me tell the timeless story: "Hey, here's this book. Read it. You'll like it so much better than Robert Fitzgerald's translation of Homer. Please, teenage boy, don't stop reading. Let me guide you to the world of pleasure reading with this book."
There is more information on this book at http://www.rickriordan.com/index.php/books-for-children/the-sea-of-monsters/.

No comments:

Post a Comment