Friday, March 4, 2011

The Eagle of the Ninth by Rosemary Sutcliffe


I requested this book from the NPL after Gene and I went to see The Eagle (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1034389) on our last "Date Saturday." When I went to the movie, I had no idea it was based on a book. I left the movie wanting to read it.
I enjoyed the book, but the 1950s writing was a bit odd. In the last few decades, authors have come a long way with developing character among groups often thought to lack character (ex. Native Americans, Egyptians, Ancient Romans). In this novel, the old attitude that Ancient Romans were a bit heartless still comes across. Yes, Marcus and Esca have a friendship, but its depth is never explained. The romance element is hard to buy as well.
Speaking of the romance element, I am really surprised that it was left out of the movie. I would have thought that Hollywood would have looked for a way to place a beautiful woman in a guys' movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment