Monday, January 25, 2010

A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle

Reason: My dear friend Natalie Crowson recommended this book to me. When I told my wonderful colleague Gwen Hines that I was reading it, she was amazed that I had made it this far in life without having read this book. Joy (Picirilli) Erickson told me once that she had named her daughter, Megan, after the Meg of this book. With such credentials, how could I not read this?
Book: This is a work of fantasy. Ever since Dr. Holley made us read Perelandra in World Lit., I have enjoyed this genre. This work moves fast, but the reader doesn't feel like anything important is being left out. From the first chapter, I was enchanted with the story of Meg and Charles Wallace. The second chapter brought Calvin, and then things took off in the quest for Father.
Quotes: I was impressed with some quotes from this book; I even dog-eared their pages in the JOHS library book! If they impress you, feel free to comment on them.
For use when teaching Animal Farm:
"But nobody's ever happy, either," Meg said earnestly. "Maybe if you aren't unhappy sometimes you don't know how to be happy" (p. 133).
Regarding how to handle life:
"We want nothing from you that you do without grace," Mrs. Whatsit said, "or that you do without understanding" (p .183).
Just to please my free-will-believein' English-literature-lovin' self:
"You mean you're comparing our lives to a sonnet? A strict form, but freedom within it" (p.186)?

Up Next: I have decided to tell readers what I am going to read next in case someone wants to read it with me and discuss it at some point. When Dad and I take the boys on a ride, we are listening to Rebel Angels by Libba Bray (see the post on A Great and Terrible Beauty). On the way to and from work, I am listening to The Devil in the White City by Erik Lasron; it is the story of serial killing at the Chicago World's Fair (non-fiction written like fiction). I am reading Wintergirls by Laurie Halse Anderson. I love Anderson (Speak); this book was chosen by the Chicago public library as the best book of the last decade.

No comments:

Post a Comment