Tuesday, November 3, 2009

The Magical Worlds of Harry Potter

I just finished The Magical Worlds of Harry Potter: A Treasury of Myths, Legends, and Fascinating Facts by David Colbert (I don't think he's any relation to Steve...). It was so interesting because it explores the origin of many of the names and creatures in the Harry Potter books.
Unfortunately, it was written in 2001. Can you believe it has been that long since Goblet of Fire came out? That date really didn't sound that old to me when I picked the book off the shelf (I mean, I graduated in 1999 so anything published after that is way fresh, young, and hip, just like me...right?). One example of this book's datedness comes from the chapter entitled 'Who Was the Most Amazing Animagus?": "No doubt Harry, who often pushes himself beyond the usual boundaries, will face this risk [i.e. the risk of taking on the form of an animal]. But first we must wait to learn what sort of Animagus he will become." Dun, dun, dun...suspenseful music plays...still waiting on the answer to this question.
There is a revised edition out there.
Question: Should we purchase the revised edition, or is the time of Harry over in the dawn of Edward Cullen (get my play on celestial words...Twilight, Eclipse, New Moon, Breaking Dawn?)?

No comments:

Post a Comment